Sunday, October 28, 2007

4276

St. Paul to Richard Dawkins

Yesterday when clicking through the channels I saw Richard Dawkins for about 10 seconds--probably a C-SPAN rerun. Nothing new here--someone or other has been saying the same stuff for 2,000 years. Including Paul, the author of most of the New Testament. He too was an educated man persecuting Christians, probably saying the same things as Dawkins, although he didn't have the benefit of C-SPAN to spread his views, or the internet for people to down load it.

Here's Paul writing to Titus, which just happens to be the Oct. 28 selection in my One Year Bible (NIV), but he could just as well be writing to Dawkins (all Christians could be praying that Dawkins have a Damascus Road experience). He would be a terrific Paul Jr.:
    At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and peasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

3 comments:

JAM said...

Every time I see this Dawkins guy on TV, they're treating him like he's extra smart. I just don't get it.

When I graduated from college the second time and got an engineering job, over time I became more and more blessed as I met incredibly brilliant engineers who were committed and sincere Christians. It really helped my faith to come to know these men and women who about as smart as a person could possibly be and yet they are sold out for Christ.

People like Dawkins don't intimidate me as they once did. I've done enough reading, searching and praying and have come to my own conclusions. They just happen to be 180degrees out of phase with Mr. Dawkins.

Anonymous said...

St. Paul = Richard Dawkins??

Yeah, I'm sure Paul was saying the same things as Dawkins, because he was an Oxford University evolutionary zoologist too, right? If you want to decry Dawkins, quote him and specify what it is he's saying that upsets you so much. Yeah that's some pretty harsh persecution Paul's leveling on the poor Christians. What victims!

Anonymous said...

Actually, you see, Dawkins isn't persecuting Christians. I realize that's hard to perceive from within a religious worldview that has persecution complexes of bottomless self-pity genetically encoded in it, but he's merely saying you're wrong.

No doubt several of you will now say that I am myself wrong. Help, help, I'm being persecuted.