Thursday, November 08, 2007

4301

She must be my age

My husband and I almost always go out to eat on Friday night. If he wore a baseball cap and athletic shoes, even to a sports bar like Rusty Bucket, I'd take it personally. It doesn't flatter me or our relationship. For a picnic with friends, or a walk along the lakefront it would be fine (although I just can't wait for the day when the baseball cap for adults will be history for anyone off the diamond). Now a reader of WSJ has expressed my thoughts on today's casual dress and behavior and what it says about the people you're with or the event you're attending. It's all about expect and respect.
    "Envision a 50th anniversary party where the husband plays video games with his buddies and the kids lounge in front of the TV, because that's what they want to do.

    I want to get dressed up and be taken to my favorite restaurant, and that's what I get. But I started this pattern 60 years ago." Judith Martin, WSJ 11-07-07

No comments: