Saturday, November 10, 2007

4311

Geographical Terms

The University of Illinois, whose football team* will be in town today along with fans, has an on-line writing guide. I see I've been doing a few things wrong, at least according to today's standards. Somewhere I might have learned not to abbreviate the word "Ohio," but I certainly didn't remember that rule, probably because I lived in Illinois when I was learning the rules.
    When they stand alone, spell out the names of states and U.S. territories and possessions.

    Spell out the names of states, territories, or possessions when they follow the name of a city or other capitalized geographical term. Example: Chicago, Illinois. When it is necessary to save space, the abbreviations listed below can be used. Do not abbreviate Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Ohio, or Utah:

    Ala., Ariz., Ark., Calif, Colo., Conn., Del., Fla., Ga., Ill., Ind., Kan., Ky., La., Md., Mass., Mich., Minn., Miss., Mo., Mont., Neb., Mev., N.C., N.D., N.H., N.J., N.M., N.Y., Okla., Ore., Pa., R.I., S.C., S.D., Tenn., Tex., Vt., Va., Wash., W. Va., Wis., and Wyo.

    Only use post office abbreviations in complete addresses that contain a ZIP code. See the current ZIP Code Directory for official Postal Service abbreviations. Example: Champaign IL 61820.

    Spell out the names of countries. The abbreviation U.S. is acceptable when used as an adjective. Examples: foreign policy of the United States or U.S. foreign policy.
*Illinois (7-3, 4-2) at #1 Ohio State (10-0, 6-0)

3 comments:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I'm curious. How would one abbreviate Ohio if one wanted to do it? I got my MFA degree in Ohio and during my term there I'm not sure I ever saw an attempt (though I don't recall any prohibition on it either.

Anonymous said...

Case & point. This is the exact reason I come to your blog. I never know what to expect, but I usually always either (a) agree with you, which let's face it. It's rare to find a creative person who is also conservative or (b) learn something. Very refreshing.

Thanks,
Em

Norma said...

The abbreviation that really puzzles me on this list is Mev. I thought I knew all the states, and had even visited most of them, but I still can't figure out where this one is. Since there is no Nev. on the list, I'm guessing this is a typo in the guidebook. I did a cut and paste, so don't blame me, Mr. Anon Troll, who watches my grammar and spelling so closely.