Saturday, December 15, 2007

Where do you display your Christmas cards?

A survey at USAToday reported 46% on a table, 22% on the fireplace mantel, and 17% on a bookshelf. It's the 15th of December. My credenza is full; we need to find a new spot. In our other house, we wrapped red ribbon around the hall closet door, and taped the back side of the card to the ribbon so it sort of became a bulletin board.



See the photo of the boys on the far right side of the mirror? I nearly cried when I saw them. Could not believe how grown up they are. They now live in Texas, but their parents lived here when they were pre-schoolers--they are now 17 and 20 and the younger one is taller than the older. Our guys met on a job interview; architecture was so slow in Texas, but my husband's firm was unable to hire this promising, young Tejano architect. We invited them to church and became friends. When they moved back to Texas two years later when the economy improved, we were sorry to see them go.

This year birds are the winners--probably 4 cardinals in the snow cards with several other species, then kittins, then lion and lamb, maybe two dogs. Only a few snowmen, and really not very many baby Jesus cards either.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

We like posting our Christmas cards on the walls of our condo. We have a few people who make cards from online photo sites, but get mostly traditional cards.

gekko said...

They've been all over the place. At one time, we had a heavy cardboard "tree" shape we pinned to the wall. It had slots to put the cards into. Sometimes I'd string broad ribbons across a tall doorway and staple cards to that. Sometimes they'd be nested on branches of the Christmas tree.

This year they are on a candle stand on a corner of my counter. They are few in number, and so this works well.

teabird said...

Hi - thanks for visiting!
The cards I receive are everywhere - but at the end of the season, they are repurposed: I give the pictures to a woman who does scrapbooking with children, so the kids can do holiday pages next year!

Ginco said...

Norma, I place all my Christmas cards on a wall unit in the living room, propped up among the rest of the Christmas decoration.
I simply cannot get it over my heart to part with the cards sent to us by Dear people. Believe me, I have cards dated back to the 70's, the year I got married!!! LOL!

aliceb said...

Merry Christmas Norma! Good to hear from you this year.
I lost most of my Christmas Ornaments in a terrible move (the movers lost them) so I use the cards on the tree! I just tuck the cards we receive each year in between the branches.

Bev said...

Cards go into a small decorate metal tub on a table in our living room to be read and reread well into the new year. Photos go into a twenty photo seleeve that hangs on the wall. Many families have layers and layers of photos in those sleeves. We love the cards but really love to see our dear ones faces.

Unknown said...

Norma,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've been so busy trying to "rescue" my old entries before they are deleted and trying to get my kids to all their performances in time I haven't been able to read blogs much in the last month or so.

As for Christmas cards. We have a stand to put them in. It is shaped like a Christmas tree. This year, though, we've not had a chance to even put up our tree so I haven't pulled it out yet. The cards are sitting on the desk in the living room.

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Sara