Friday, July 11, 2008

Buy real food, instead of whining about prices

Here at Lakeside I'm spreading my food dollar around. I really like walking to the Erie Beach Market--small, limited choices, but nice meat and friendly staff. The Lakeside Farmers' Market on Tuesday was fun and offered great eats. The last two mornings I bought an apple and banana at the Coffee and Cream shop, we ate out at Crow's Nest with Wes and Sue last night and came back here for dessert and wine, saving us about $20; today I shopped at Bassett's (ca. 5 miles) for fresh items, and Wal-Mart for paper goods and soap. Yes, I'm helping the locals, shopping smart, and saving gas. At Bassett's I spent about $42 and got a small beef roast, ground chuck, 1/2 gal. milk, 1/2 gal. orange juice, pint of blue berries, 1 red pepper, 6 bananas, lettuce, carrots shredded, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, 2 loaves of bakery bread, 1 bake-at-home sausage and cheese fresh pizza, an onion, white grapes, sugar free cookies, chili sauce and a box of raisins. Food is a good deal if you don't put it in your gas tank or process it to empty calories.

This photo of Insalata Caprese is from Over a Tuscan Stove; absolutely wonderful yummies and stories there.

OK, just one whine. A medium coffee went from $1.80 to $2.00 today, so tomorrow, to make up the difference, I won't buy one. It's not nice to raise prices in mid-season.

No comments: