Sunday, July 13, 2008

The cheapest car to drive

is the one you own (paid for). My 2002 Dodge minivan will do just fine, thank you. Even if I were to sell it, they go for about $6,000 now, and a new crossover or hybrid would probably cost about $35,000 and only get 4-5 more miles to the gallon. I'd have to be driving 10x more than I do now to ever make that pay. In 2006 I think Consumer Reports estimated 5-6 years before the additional costs of a hybrid could be made up in fuel savings. And yes, they factored in rising gasoline costs. Whether they factored in the loss on what else that money could be doing, I don't know. This is my third Chrysler van--I love them. The seats are a perfect fit for mine. Ford and GM have discontinued their minivans. I hope Chrysler doesn't.

My beloved van enjoying the summer at the lakehouse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of it that way. Thanks!