Tuesday, September 30, 2008

John calls Katie on her Gotcha Journalism

You go, John! Someone should teach her some manners, and if it has to be you, go for it. I think we'd all get better TV news if the interviewee would smack down the journalist--right or left--when she inserts her own politics, whether Charlie Rose or Greta van whatsit.
    John McCain: Of course not. But, look, I understand this day and age of "gotcha" journalism. Is that a pizza place? In a conversation with someone who you didn't hear … the question very well, you don't know the context of the conversation, grab a phrase. Gov. Palin and I agree that you don't announce that you're going to attack another country …

    Couric: Are you sorry you said it?

    McCain: … and the fact …

    Couric: Governor?

    McCain: Wait a minute. Before you say, "is she sorry she said it," this was a "gotcha" sound bite that, look …

    Couric: It wasn't a "gotcha." She was talking to a voter.

    McCain: No, she was in a conversation with a group of people and talking back and forth. And … I'll let Gov. Palin speak for herself.
Check the video, yesterday in Columbus. (I don't watch Katie, but my son told me about it so I looked it up.)

No comments: