Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Reference questions

Today when you go to the library, ask a question. Try to find a librarian, though. I don't think it gives the staff quite the same sense of "ah-ha, a live one" that a librarian (MLS from an accredited institution) experiences. "Where's the rest room?" or "Can you fix the printer?" don't count.

I love to read through the questions that bring people to my site. Because I write on so many topics, these robotic spiders scroll around a page and match up some strange words or sentences--like the first name of a mayor's wife with the Latin name of a plant. Not quite up to my road kill or black birds in a pie diseases that I used to get at the Vet Library, but interesting. Since about 9 p.m. last night these are some of the more interesting questions that brought people to my blog. I get anywhere from 120 to 180 hits a day, depending on what I'm writing about. If a big poo-bah blogger links to me, it might spike to 350 for a few days. Sometimes they just glance and move on, sometimes they stay for 30 minutes to an hour.
    who administers zostavax in san antonio? [Let me get back to you on that]

    how to do my thoughts [just stir gently and half bake]

    lakeside "raccoon run" results [do you want 2008? I have photos but no results]

    abercrombie and fitz "the christmas field guide" [Yes, I'm getting Christmas catalogs too]

    24th mapping squadron [I'm 3rd from the top on this one]

    dadsandsons near blogspot [is this a boolean question]

    "catholic social doctrine" "joe biden" [bingo]

    how come there are so many anti-obama books and no anti-mccain books [probably because no one thought he'd be the candidate--check Daily Kos--they hate him and Sarah over there]

    orbiter can opener review [I have a great review on this topic--even a photo]

    cnn report, in 2008, new peal medicine for cancer used in europe [this sounds fascinating but I'm not sure what "peal" is. Learn to type in just the key words

4 comments:

R. L. said...

So, would you argue that the reason that the UAPL as 10 different copies of 3 anti-Obama titles to its 1 copy of 1 anti-McCain title is because no one at UAPL thought McCain would be the candidate?

Did you notice, by the way, that UAPL now has 6 copies of Obama Nation?

Norma said...

I finally got my copy today--7 wks after requesting it. I'll read it promptly and get it back into circ. I haven't checked on the McCain books--are there any?

R. L. said...

There are 4 titles out there, maybe more. So, why do you think that UAPL owns so many copies of anti-Obama books when compared to anti-McCain books (by 10 to 1)? You were quick to accuse them of being pro-Obama, maybe now we have to consider the fact that they might be anti-Obama. That UAPL has a conservative bias when it comes to the Obama-McCain election.

Norma said...

Maybe you could write a blog about it since you seem to care. The issue isn't pro- or anti-, it's knowing your community and anticipating needs.