Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Summer's bounty

My son brought over a huge kettle of tomatoes and peppers today. I know what to do with some of them, but how many salads can I eat? He makes and cans salsa, but says the batch wasn't large enough to bother with. Then I remembered that my mother used to stew them, so I got out my 1966 Woman's Day Encyclopedia v. 11, and looked it up. I just made fresh cream of tomato soup, and I must say, it is fabulous. I didn't use these proportions, and I didn't have a bay leaf, but it's close
    2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1/2 bay leaf
    1/2 t. salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    2 T. butter
    2 T. all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk

    Simmer tomatoes (I peeled them first) with onion, bay leaf, salt, and pepper for about 10 minutes (do not use water). Strain. (I also ran the leftovers through the blender.) Melt butter and stir in flour. (I skipped this and just added the butter and flour to the milk and warmed in the microwave and added to the stewed, liquified tomatoes). 2 cups of milk. (I was low on milk so I only used one cup.)
Thanks baby boy!

No comments: