Sunday, September 28, 2008

Inspiring sights and sounds

Thursday I was at the Lane Road Library and parked very close to the walking path that borders the park next to the library. There was a frail woman, a little unsteady--maybe 65-70--walking by herself. She was quite thin and wan, but the glow on her face could have lit up the town. I'm guessing she was recently released from the hospital after surgery or chemo or both and was so grateful to be out and moving on her own. She looked joyous and was taking in every bird, leaf and blade of grass that we miss in our routines. Then later in the day I was doing the mail run for the church and had to back out because a home health van was blocking my exit. The driver hopped out, opened the back doors of the van, and carefully maneuvered a large man in a wheelchair on to the lift, and was lowering it. I couldn't see the man's face--so I don't know who he was. But I thought of all the effort it took for him and his caregivers to get him to Lytham Road so he could attend a Bible Study for an hour. Probably several hours.

Because of the nice weather, we've been able to have the windows open at night, and during the night I can hear the trains--maybe 2 miles from here. Since our Amtrak cross country trip in 2003 I've loved hearing the trains. It's a fabulous way to see the country and meet the folks.

No comments: