Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mystery visitors come to your church

Columbus used to have 2 newspapers, the Dispatch and the Citizen-Journal. I think it was the CJ that had a reporter who visited churches and then reported on the service and how he was treated. There are web sites that still do this--some quite humorous. Outreach magazine's final article is usually based on that. A recent issue had a mystery visitor who was not only not a Christian, but was a Muslim. Still, if I had visited "one of the top five fastest growing churches in America" that she did, I think my reaction would have been similar. The number one defining reason people chose a church is the worship style, i.e., the music. And it's probably the number one reason they leave. I have on occasion actually had to leave the building in order to protect my ears! Here's what this young Muslim woman wrote:
    "The band looked like modern, alternative artists. There were guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, with words displayed on the screen. I felt a bit awkward singing along, as alternative music seems hard to sing along with."
Amen to that. Also very repetitious. We were at an event last night where I recognized the music, but thought it so boring my ears would bleed. It's not that it was loud. I think we've used it during cool-down in exercise class. One of the largest, most popular churches in Columbus uses this style. Then she described the message she heard:
    "[it was] about getting baptized and the feelings you have before taking this step. The speaker was on the screen; he was not actually there. I found this impersonal. Several other movie clips were used throughout, and Bible verses were referenced. The message was not especially applicable to me as a Muslim, but I could see how it would apply to a Christian."
Not to this Christian. I just love sermons on baptism if there is a strong gospel message, and maybe an actual baptism--but feelings while being baptized? Not so much. I was about 12 and much concerned about what I would look like while wet and choking. Then she continues about the setting
    "It was different for me that men and women were together because Muslims meet in separate areas of the mosque. Intermingling between sexes is frowned upon in my culture, especially in a religious setting. You could not talk to the speaker. No one came to talk to me. There was a small statement in the bulletin about a tent where first-time guests could receive a free gift, but I did not see this notice until after I came home. People seemed nice, but no one, except for the greeters at the entrance, acknowledged my presence. I wouldn't go back because it wasn't my idea of worship. I respect everyone there, but it really just wasn't for me."
In every Christian sanctuary or fellowship hall there is behavior that if off-putting for the stranger, especially the noise and talking during the prelude of traditional services. Still, if you are a visitor, you need to be respectful, as this woman was, of another's culture. We attended a tiny Lutheran church a few years back and a toddler was running up and down the aisles squealing, much to the delight of the members, but we were a little surprised. It turned out he was the pastor's son, and different members would just pick him up and kiss him and pass him along to the next parishioner. Once we understood, it was sort of sweet. Being a print person, I'm always reading the literature, and mentally composing a letter to their communications staff on how I would do it differently to help the visitor in their midst (an address of the church would really help, and it's shocking how often this is left off).

Our multi-campus church has three locations and nine services. I try to be friendly and welcoming, but often find out I have welcomed someone who joined 10 years ago, and just got up early that Sunday. Still, it's good practice.

In any case, it doesn't sound like this non-Christian heard the gospel--but then, neither did the members. And it's so important to remind the "regulars" why they have made the effort to gather and praise God.

No comments: