Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thanks, but no thanks

I'm not joining Facebook, Smackaroony dot org or Huggme dot inc or any other social networking group. (Two of those I made up.) I'm all techno'd out. I've forgotten more passwords than I remember. I just got an invite from Helen who has more friends than any one person I know. She can walk through a strange city, in a country where she doesn't speak the language, and the next summer, people she met in a restaurant or bookstore are flying to the USA for a 2 week visit! The woman is amazing. She's never met a stranger. And now she invites me to be her Facebook friend! Well, I'm her friend in "for-real life," when I can get an appointment to see her, and even then there will be 4 or 5 others waiting in line, sitting on the porch or calling. I just checked her account and she's already signed on 20+ and just started! And I think Sally (England) has started up on Facebook, too. It reminds me of junior high cliques; been there done that, no thanks. My experience on the net and in real life is that if people don't agree with your politics or religion, they get hurt, then nasty and soon they de-link you.

In real life friendships we will soon be going to a Robert Burns 250th birthday party. How cool is that? I'm trying to learn that poem about the louse in a lady's hair. "O wad some Power the giftie gie us / To see oursels as others see us!" And our Holy Land cruise group is going to have a pot luck (I'm taking a main dish because that's how the alphabet crumbles). If our friend recovers from his bronchitis, we'll be going out for dinner on Friday. I think he's been sick since New Year's. There's some 168 Film Project festivities this week-end we should take in. I'm planning a little luncheon for retirees in February--soup and salad. And then there's the usual activities like exercise class, watercolor class, serving lunch at the senior center, gathering with church friends for Bible study, praying for Obama every day, sending notes to shut-ins, new parents, and grieving families. But Facebook can be useful. I found my first grade piano teacher that way. Of course, what I'll do with her, I don't know.

Today my husband hooked up the digital converter box to the 1988 TV at our summer cottage (he watched our daughter do it here). He says we can now get 14 stations. And no pipes were frozen, which is good news. It's much colder on Lake Erie than here.

No comments: