Saturday, January 31, 2009

That was then, this is now

I'm not going to list it as a "new" word, but I was curious about when the little word "then" took over from ex- or former when referring to divorced spouses. "Then" is another one of those little over-worked four letter words. You know the others. It comes from the Old English word thonne related to the Old High German word denne. It means, "at that time," "soon after that time," "next in order of time," "following next after in order of position," "next in a series," "in that case," "according to that," and "as a necessary consequence." It's the little, multiple use English words that foreigners leave out.

Here's the definition that fits the use I refer to, "existing or acting at or belonging to the time mentioned." I suppose you can apply it to a wife or husband, but to say, "he and his then wife (1992) bought the house and remodeled it. . ." just sounds sort of crass. As though she is just one in a series, perhaps. To my tender ears. Still, if you can use it with a secretary of state or a judge. . .

When I googled the phrase, "his then wife," I got about 196,000 matches. I was wrong about the usage, because using this phrase goes back many, many years, to the point of being almost quaint. I found early 1800s:
    can any limitations be implied in favour of the testator's issue by his then wife unprovided for by the settlement (1845)

    yielding and paying therefore yearly during the said term unto the plaintiff and Nancy his then wife, since deceased (1870)

    I think this means his then wife. I feel that very strongly (1896)

    Plaintiff herein further states that, during and by reason of the late War of the Rebellion, the said deed from the said Joseph C. Parry and his then wife, ... (1905)
Even so, some of the more interesting ones were recent
    [Jenrette, a liberal Democrat] had sex with his then-wife, Rita Jenrette, behind a pillar on the steps of the Capitol Building.

    When I met my husband, his then wife threatened me, harassed me, and basically made life a living hell.

    Sienna might have been cheated on by Jude Law but Jude cheated on his then-wife, Sadie Frost, with Sienna.

    Snodgrass says Hyde carried on a five-year sexual relationship with his then-wife, Cherie, that shattered his family . . .

    He had the contract in his hand to sign when his then wife, Laura, asked him if he really, really was ready to give up the adrenaline kick . . .

    In September 1992, Pavarotti and his then wife, Adua, . . .

    Podhoretz recounts that Mailer rushed up to Podhoretz's apartment after Mailer had stabbed his then-wife Adele Morales in 1960. . .

    When Giuliani was in office and having an affair with Judith Nathan — who later became his wife — both she and his then-wife, Donna Hanover, ...

    His then-wife gave him some A.A. pamphlets which he pretended to ignore, but he sneaked into the bathroom to read them.
English: such an interesting language.

4 comments:

R. L. said...

Crap. I immediately checked my last post to make sure I hadn't used the word "then". Then I was happy when I found out I had not.

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
Since you refuse to post your word for today then take mine.
LIQUIDITY: When you look at your investments and wet your pants.

Norma said...

Very funny Mur.

Helen said...

Hello Norma - love the post, especially the 'lost' words.

Kind regards

Helen