Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Cambridge Police

Officers white and black, male and female, stand behind Crowley. There was no racism.

"He [Obama] should have recused himself."

Remembering Gates' book: "I'm praying fervently that we will be spared a national Teachable Moment arising from the Gates Affair. But at least one good thing (for me, at any rate) has come out of the brouhaha: it prompted me to go to my bookshelves for the first book I read by Henry Louis Gates, Jr., The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of Afro-American Literary Criticism, published by Oxford University Press in 1988. Whether or not Professor Gates said to Officer Crowley "I'll see your mama outside" (as Crowley insists he did, and Gates denies), there's no mistaking Gates' relish for "Signifyin(g)" as a "pervasive mode of language use" among African Americans. What I found most interesting when I first read the book (probably the only one in my library that features a conjunction of blurbs by Jacques Derrida and Ishmael Reed) was its insights into parody in black literature. Those insights are still worth pondering, despite the high proportion of sentences like this one: "It is indeterminacy, the sheer plurality of meaning, the very play of the signifier itself, which [Reed's novel] Mumbo Jumbo celebrates." Did someone mention parody?" John Wilson, Editor, Books & Culture

The tapes are being released. Looks like Gates was in the wrong all the way around, from his posturing, pomposity, and prejudging the Cambridge police to blowing everything out of proportion, to bringing one more disaster to the White House.

No comments: