Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Memories--Lakeside in the mid-70s

We're back in Columbus this week, with a reasonably full agenda (for us) including hosting a large group for the Cum Cristo team (Cursillo) of which my husband is a member for the September event. I did walk at dawn this morning, but it's not quite the same when you can't see anything over the trees. Don't get me wrong--I love the trees--but you don't see much sun in the early a.m.

Lakeside lakefront cottages on July 18 reflecting the morning sunrise. These were all built around 1915-1920, I think. We rented the one on the far right (a 4-family) in the mid-70s when the children were small. I don't remember how we got into our apartment, but I don't think it was the front door. I think this is the spot where our son caught his first fish.

35 years ago, there were still flat rocks on which you could walk out into the lake to wade, or fish, or just sit on a park bench secured with bolts. As the lake rose to record heights, huge bolders were brought in to protect the housing along the lakefront. The lake has now receded, but the old beauty is now gone, replaced by immigrant bolders, with no work to do.

No comments: