Monday, June 08, 2020

Driving while black

There's talk about police stopping people "driving while black." Having raised some teens, let me tell you that happens to whites, Hispanics and Asians also. Usually there is a teen driver, male, a snappy, loud car (either modified or just a bad muffler) alcohol involved, other kids as passengers as a distraction and the police may have saved some lives. We've gotten those calls after midnight to come to the hospital.

I've been stopped 3 times--got my license when I was 16 and am now 80. First when I was a teen, second when I was middle aged, and third when I was old and stupid. I was at fault all 3 times. And it's possible those are the only 3 times I really shouldn't have been doing wrong things while driving because I'm pretty careful and don't drive much. That said, I have seen hundreds of accidents while on the road and am always thankful when I see the police have arrived to help, to get the ambulance on the scene and to move ahead the gawkers and people in a hurry around the scene of destruction and death.

I say a prayer and then forget until the next time.

No comments: