Monday, January 16, 2006

2036 My librarian's hat

Let me pause here to put on my librarian's hat. If you want to check further than internet rehash of the story on paternal age and genetic diseases (my blog 2034), or any medical story for that matter, there are a number of medical journals that have free text online, where you can get the whole story plus the references. This story, for instance goes all the way back to the 1950s when they first suspected the sperm and age of the father were involved in defects.

However, you might see this:

Only to click on it and see this: This item is restricted. Subscribers have full text access and guests have some free access. SIGN IN or see below for access options.

Well, be sure to scroll down to look at your options. JAMA and all its other journal archives are free AFTER a year. So it is worth your while to register so you can take advantage. I can go on-line at Ohio State as faculty emeritus, however, this option actually is easier with a "remember me" option. You may not have access to a university or large public library that carries this, but now you can look at them anyway.

Some journal registrations are a pain in the rear, but JAMA's wasn't too bad.

1 comment:

Library-Gryffon said...

Or call you local hospital and ask to speak to their librarian! My library doesn't do consumer health per se, but over the last 5 years I've had a number of people call wanting to see the JAMA or NEJM or whatever article that was being talked about on NPR this morning. If we don't have it in our collection, we can get it for you. (I love Docline!)