Saturday, January 28, 2006

2087 Art towns in America

the 100 best? When I returned my magazines and books to the public library this week I noticed The 100 best art towns in America, 4th ed. was sitting on the book truck awaiting reshelving. It will go back next trip. It seems to be a relocation guide for artists rather than those who want to view art. Would you believe there's nothing in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota or Missouri? Come on! Apparently, towns over 100,000 didn't make the list, but there is nothing in the title, or subtitle that says that, although I suppose the word "town" would be a clue. Having grown up in a town of 3,000, I called 20,000 a "city." According to the introduction, the big cities are filled with artists just longing to escape to a place with cheaper real estate but a supportive arts community. Well, maybe so. I've yet to see very many areas of the country that doesn't have more going on in the arts than you can possibly take in without it becoming a full time job.

No comments: