Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Munching on crunchy carrots

I have a mouth full of fillings (I have all my permanent teeth). Many of them older than my dentist. But I love to munch on raw carrots. I don't want one of those "crunch" sounds to be a broken filling. So today I tried microwaving some carrot sticks about 10 seconds. Softens a little but leaves the crispness I like. Also, carrots are a nutritional powerhouse, and some studies show those properties are more available if cooked. Not sure 10 seconds is "cooking" but can't hurt. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf072304b?

I don't like the flavor or texture of "baby carrots" which are really just old tough carrots chopped and reshaped. I clean and slice the fullsize carrot. Much better flavor. I think the slimy fluid on them changes the flavor.

The Truth About Baby Carrots | Food Network Healthy Eats: Recipes, Ideas, and Food News | Food Network

No comments: