Sunday, October 01, 2006

2917 A cancer blog

Larry Sievers writes a Cancer Blog at NPR. It's pretty interesting because he addresses many of the thoughts and platitudes that appear in the lives of the survivors, patients, family, friends and co-workers. The above link is to the entry on how a cancer patient should respond to a smoker.

Update: Sievers died in August 2008. This link no longer works.

My vote would be for knocking him down and stomping on his cigarettes, but I was definitely in the minority. See comments.

Every teenager who thinks it looks so cool to light up and have smoke burn your eyes and nose and make you stink should read Ruth's comment:

"I have smoked since I was 13-years-old and I am 61 now. Smoking to me is like second nature. Yes I have tried to quit but without success. In my life I've been told that I have achieved things others could not do on their own. I lost over 60 lbs with sheer will power and kept it off. I used to drink vodka everyday; I knew it was not good for me but couldn't stop for the longest time. I no longer drink today, sheer willpower. I've been told if you could quit eating and drinking you should be able to quit smoking, but I just can't. I have cancer and am going to have surgery to remove (hopefully) the entire tumor within 30 days. I've finished the pre surgery chemo, it did shrink it a little bit so now I have to see one more doctor, a lung doctor and were ready to schedule. I have esophageal/stomach cancer, I'll have two surgeons operating, one on my stomach and one maybe on my chest. I know I'm a damn fool but I think the only way I can quit smoking, is if they lock me up, which is about to happen. I have to stay in the hospital between seven and ten days, it scares me to death. Wish me the best. No lectures please."

No comments: