Saturday, October 28, 2006

3011 Why you should buy a world map

Last night after dinner (where I once a week forget turnip greens, tomato juice, and eating healthy) we went next door to Liberty Books. I'd been carrying around a gift card for ages. Although I was a bit surprised that my husband agreed to go in (he's got the male non-shopper gene), I thought perhaps he was humoring me. After much browsing for a premiere issue (there were none I didn't have), I selected a $14.95 paperback (I remember when new pb's were $.25, and trade pb's were $1.00), and he walked up to the cashier with a $4.95 folded world map.

"What's the copyright date on that?" I asked. He looked surprised--so did the clerk. It was all wrapped up, but she went online and looked. "All I want is a world map," he said, sensing his prize slipping away. "It doesn't have to have last week's coup on it." "Nope." I said, standing my ground, "if we need a map, we need the latest." "January 2003," the young lady chirped. "We needed something newer," I said. "This was the only one," he persisted.

So we bought the book and the map. I'm such a softy.

Later that evening I noticed it was spread out on the living room floor. I squatted down (which is much easier to do since I've lost 8 lbs.) and started looking over the map. "China doesn't look as large as I remember," I said, "but, my goodness, Russia is huge!" "And here are the Canary Islands that some of the bloggers I read talk about as vacation spots." And then, "Oh my goodness, in my mind's eye I had New Zealand on the wrong side of Australia! It's been a very long time since geography class in fifth grade."

My husband sat there looking quite pleased. "Yes, but now look at how tiny Israel is, and all the surrounding countries that are trying to destroy it." Even with my glasses, it was hard to spot it. And very sobering to know how many countries are doing everything they can to remove it from the next edition of this map.

Yes, do buy a world map.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even better - buy a globe. Maps use massive distortions to fit the world onto into a rectangular frame.

You've probably noticed how the eastern coast of Russia appears on the same map twice? (if it's a Mercator map). Also, Antarctica probably looks huge - when in reality it's a fairly small island...