Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday Memories

Brethren Volunteer Service, pt.1
Brethren Volunteer Service was started in 1948 training young people and adults in groups to help in a variety of community projects in many countries. Service might be in a hospital, a small struggling church, Appalachia, a migrant camp, blighted urban area, nursing home, or school. Both my sisters had served, so I signed up for a summer unit in 1957 and left for California right after high school graduation, traveling to Fresno by myself on the Greyhound Bus. This memory is not about all the strange people I met on the bus, but rather I want to post some photos because my album has fallen apart after almost 50 years. I've adjusted the posting time so you can scroll down, instead of up. There are 3 parts, otherwise it would take too long to load.

I was assigned to a community center that served Black agricultural workers. The community looked rural and had tidy little houses; the house in which the volunteers lived looked much the same as the rest of the community. We had 4 rooms, no air conditioning. The director of the project and his family lived next door in a slightly better house. All the land for the center and the two houses had been donated by a Hoff family who were members of the Church of the Brethren.
121 West North Ave., Fresno 6, California, front of the volunteers' residence

Back of our house on W. North Ave. There was a large garden, but I don't think we took care of it. Laundry is on the line--wringer washer, no dryer. Addition to the back was the laundry room and tool shed. Addition on the side was two bedrooms, one for four women, one for four or five men. With 9 people living in a tiny house we had to be scrupulously neat; beds made up first thing; dishes washed and put away after meals; no clutter at all.

Our BVS group, but I don't remember all the names. Judy Haldeman, Imogene Traughber, in front, Rufus Wagner, Terry Thoreen, back. The other three guys are Don Jordan, next a relative of the director, Clare Stein (can't remember his name) and possibly Tim Guest. We had a "housemother" a few years older than me whose name was Barbara, but she isn't in the photo. From the clothing, we must have been at church. I was the photographer using my little Brownie Hawkeye. Only 3 of us were summer workers--the rest had been through regular training in Maryland.


Check the two previous posts for pt. 2 and pt. 3, rather than scrolling up.


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
I don't use Mr. Linky, so your links will stay put!
My visitors and visited this week are:
Ma, Viamarie, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Debbie, Lazy Daisy, Lady Bug, Janene, Michelle, Anna, ChelleY. Jen, Melli Becki, Paul, Friday's Child, Irish Church Lady,





10 comments:

Melli said...

What an awesome experience for a young lady from a small town to have! I bet you thought you were really something! And really you WERE! Not many teenagers are willing to give up their summer to do something like that! And you went off all by yourself! Did your sisters go together? Or did they each go off by themselves too? I wonder if I would have done this given the chance? Part of me thinks I would and part of me thinks I would not... TODAY I would! But I wonder what teenager me would have done?

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would have been so willing to go away for something like this. But it sure was an experience you have kept with you all these years and I am sure you learned a lot from it. Wonderful pictures! Wonderful story to share. I like that you set it up so we could scroll down too! Kept it going!

Have a great Monday!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great idea for a young girl! Oh, and I love the dresses!

Viamarie said...

Nice sharing.

Mine is up too. Cheers to a new week!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, what a great experience. Love the puppets too. Great pictures and lovely memories. I agree, you were quite brave to travel across country. Thanks for sharing such a unique experience.

Anonymous said...

WOW~quite an experience for someone so young. Having not been a born-again believer that young, that would not have interested me. But as an adult did a short mission trip to help rebuild a church in Mississippi with the Mennonites.

Thanks for coming by and sharing.

Paul said...

Hi Norma,

Thank you blogging by Hill Country Thoughts!

Indeed words and friends are very important.

Memories, looking back, I do that often, as I remember old friends, my children, grand-children and what a blessings they are :)

Thanks for sharing some of your memories.

I will be back to spend some time here at your blog. Time is one of those things that I have lots of now :)

I am doing much better! The pain is not as intense and kinda of mellowing out a little.

Even in the pain, I have gained much strength from the Lord and for that I am thankful.

Blessings,

Paul

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! I sure love all those old black and white photos.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I'm sure it must been hard for you to be away for the first time from your family but it must have been fun too. Feeling independent, living out of your own home. Having responsibilities and freedom to do what you want without anyone telling you what not to and what to.
Thanks for dropping by.

High Power Rocketry said...

Great pages! So many! Lets exchange links, I only have 5 however...