Tuesday, October 31, 2006

3023 Some blogging updates

The Thursday Thirteen on my food triggers on September 28 has been followed religiously, and the target (I don't like the word "goal") which I wrote down elsewhere on September 25 was to lose my birth weight, 9.5 lbs by the end of October. Although my 46 years old scales (wedding gift) doesn't have fractions, I'm calling it for----ME. The other day I cut through K-Mart looking for an item and went through the snack aisle. Oh my, thought I'd pass out as I passed the Fritos. My exercise routine hasn't been as good as I hoped, what with the weather turning chilly, and all these blogs (9) to supervise.

Also, last week I blogged about the used books I was going to take to the library book sale. You'll be delighted to learn that they have moved from my office to the garage, and have finally made it to the car. While I was at Meier's yesterday, I bought a smallish suitcase for $10 with wheels and pull out handle in a bright lime green which is small enough to keep in my van when empty. I've loaded the books into the suitcase, and today when I return my library books, I plan to drag my little red wagon (which is lime green). I also have stacks of magazines waiting for a new home, so each time I go to the library, I take a load and not strain my back. I thought about one of those folding carts, but this works for my purpose.

Stephanie who writes Skinny Jeans has added some great suggestions to my How not to marry a jerk post which I did back in February.

Today is Halloween, or All Hallows' Eve on the Christian calendar with tomorrow being All Saints Day. But like most Christian holy days, this one has pagan origins and we really do go back to the original plan when we dress up like goblins and ghouls (although the trashy streetwalker look is a newer variation with no tradition). I blogged about this last year. Last night I reread my link to a folklore site.

Michael J. Fox was in Ohio stumping for the Democratic candidate for governor (who will probably win because our current Republican governor is so bad). I'd written about embryonic stem cell research here in May. Fox is just plain wrong headed about this--offering hope where there is none. Yesterday's paper reported the huge private venture capital going into anti-aging research which may have other disease benefits too. The media flogs this looking for new victims. But where is the venture capital for stem cell research. It's not illegal. There is no government boondoggle unless the Democrats control the purse strings. I don't want my tax money being used to clone human cells by destroying embryos--talk about a ghoulish Halloween event year around!

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I agree. I also agree that the Democratic candidate will probably be our next Governor, and for the same reasons as you. It scares me a little though. With all the problems we have here in Ohio, I can't see how stem cell research should be on the top of the list. What else does he have planned for our great state?