Thursday, October 26, 2006

3004 Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen books going to the library sale!



Do you bite off more than you can chew? Are your eyes bigger than your stomach? No, this 13 isn’t about food, but a bad habit--buying books at used book sales, thinking they look really good. Last week in a frenzy (about 10 minutes) of office cleaning I pulled a stack of books off my shelves to take to the library sale. Bookshelves need a little breathing room to look good in a home. I just counted them. Thirteen. And all came from sales--$.25-$2.00.

Great, I didn’t have a topic ready like I usually do. One I actually read several years ago and thought it might be nice to own, but I never opened it. One was pretty marked up and I found a better copy. One was a duplicate of what I already had on my shelves. Several are how-to books for writers--the publishing information is out of date, but the articles in the front are still good--but I read them years ago and really am not interested in publishing anymore. Yes, Whoopie Ti-Yi-Yo, Get Along Little Volumes, it’s time for the last round up. In the box you go.
  • ARE YOU SOMEBODY? THE ACCIDENTAL MEMOIR OF A DUBLIN WOMAN by Nuala O’Faolain
  • DATABASE NATION; THE DEATH OF PRIVACY IN THE 21ST CENTURY by Simson Garfinkel
  • ELIZABETH I CEO; STRATEGIC LESSONS FROM THE LEADER WHO BUILT AN EMPIRE by Alan Axelrod
  • HELPING PEOPLE THROUGH GRIEF by Delores Kuenning
  • A HISTORY OF THE WESTERN EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE by Gerald L. Gutek
  • HOW TO QUIT GOLF; A 12-STEP PROGRAM by Craig Brass
  • THE INTERPRETATION OF HOLY SCRIPTURE by Walter M. Dunnett
  • NOVEL & SHORT STORY WRITER’S MARKET 1995
  • POET’S MARKET 1998
  • PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen
  • SHIP OF GOLD IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA by Gary Kinder
  • TRULY THE COMMUNITY by Marva J. Dawn
  • UNTO THE HILLS by Billy Graham

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! Leave a comment and I'll add your name and URL.

Visitors and visited:
Amy, BabyBlue, Barb, Barbara, Beckadoodles, Blessed Assurances, Brony, Bubba, Buttercup and Bean, Carey, Carmen, Caylynn, Chaotic Mom, Chelle Y., Cheryl, Dane, Danielle, Darla, Dawn, Denise, DK Raymer, Domestic Geek, Dorothy, Factor 10, Faerylandmom, Expressing myself, Friday's Child, Gattina, Ghost, Irish Church Lady, It’s all about me, Jane, Janeen, JB , Joan,, Joy Renee, Just Tug, Kate, Kathy, Kaye, Kelly,Kendra, Lady Bug, Lazy Daisy, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Lyndsay, Lynn, Ma, Mar, C.A.Marks, Mary, Michelle, Mistress of the dark MommyBa, N.Mallory, Nat, Nathalie, Raggedy Randy, Ribbiticus, Shannon, The Shrone, Southern Girl, Sunny Days, Sunshine Blues, Susan, Tammy, TC, Test, Tigerprr, TNChick,

18 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I need to find a place to take all my used paperback novels. I have so many.

Great idea for a TT!

Mine are up now too.

Ladybug Crossing said...

Wow! Those are a pretty eclectic mix of books! They will all be scooped up and loved by new people. Great idea for a list, btw.
LBC

Lazy Daisy said...

We have the same problem Norma. We love books and book sales especially used books. Should we form a support group?

Carmen said...

Oooh. I'd love to take the Elizabeth I CEO one off your hands. :) I guess our libraries aren't close, huh?

Anonymous said...

Great mix of interesting reads.

Darla said...

I really, really need to find somewhere to take the books I don't want to keep. There are a lot of them.

Anonymous said...

I should do the same...but NO. I'm too attached I guess. I weeded mine out though, a few years ago and wouldn't you know...someone wanted to borrow a title I no longer owned.

tiggerprr said...

What a wide variety of books! Since we just moved, we were trying to dispose of some of our things prior to leaving and I donated 2 boxes of books to the local library. I wonder where they've been and who's read them.

Tammy said...

I love buying books! Great list!

Anonymous said...

If I should choose some of these, it would have been:

NOVEL & SHORT STORY WRITER’S MARKET 1995

SHIP OF GOLD IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA by Gary Kinder

The HOW TO QUIT GOLF is not necessary, since Mr L have done that ACCIDENTLY ;-)

We've been travelling so much and having so much other things to do, so he hasn't got the time or energy left to do it! Poor one.... *lol*

We've get rid of a lot of books before when we were moving in here. We both had a lot of books and his is a small apartment so they just had to go. Mr L have had a job once within the book printing business, so naturally he had a lot of special ones.

BlondeBrony said...

I have such a hard time getting rid of books.
Happy TT!

Tracie Nall said...

About twice a year I go through my bookshelves and gather some books up for the used bookstore. The only bad thing is that instead of selling them....I usually trade them. Drives my husband crazy!

My TT is up!

Anonymous said...

How to Quit Golf? Wow. That would NEVER go over in my humble state of Arizona...lol

Thanks for stopping by, and Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

If I see a discounted book that catches my eye, I have to have it! Lately I've been collecting children's books for my daughters. I don't think I could ever have too many.

Buttercup said...

I love books. It's hard for me to get rid of them, but it's nice of you to pass them along.

Anonymous said...

Great idea to pass along your used books. :)

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Anonymous said...

I used to do the same thing, but I lived with my parents and had no worries of clutter :-)

I have the poet's market, not sure which year. The only other I've read is Pride & Prejudice.

I know some people who may benefit from Quitting Golf ;-) !

Anonymous said...

I'm a book junkie and have a similar clutter problem. I have a hard time deciding which ones to let go. A friend introduced me to bookcrossing.org a couple of months ago and I love it. It's fun randomly dropping books off throughout the city and then waiting to find out what others think of them. Maybe it would work for you too?