Friday, October 27, 2006

3008 Fourteen super foods

I've been reading SuperFoods RX by Steven Pratt,MD and Kathy Matthews. It's interesting, but I can't imagine how one could eat all this stuff as often as the authors recommend. Here's the list, along with what the authors call their "sidekicks," or substitutions, which helps expand the group. But read the book for the details on the micronutrients, health benefits and the shopping suggestions.
  • Beans--all beans such as pinto, navy, northern, lima, garbanzo, lentils, green, snap peas and green peas. Try to eat 4 1/2 cup servings per week.
  • Blueberries--purple grapes, cranberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries cherries, and all other varieties of fresh, frozen, or dried berries. 1 to 2 cups daily (!).
  • Broccoli--brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, mustard greens, swiss chard. 1/2 to 1 cup daily.
  • Oats--wheat germ, ground flaxseed, brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwehat, rye, millet, bulgur wheat, amaranth, quinoa, triticale, kamut, yellow corn, wild rice, spelt, couscous. 5 to 7 servings a day.
  • Oranges--lemons, white and pink grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines, limes. 1 serving daily (can be orange juice).
  • Pumpkin--carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, orange bell peppers. 1/2 cup most days.
  • Wild Salmon--Alaskan halibut, canned albacore turna, sardines, herring, trout, sea bass, oysters and clams. Eat fish 2-4 times a week.
  • Soy--tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, tempeh, miso. At least 15 grams of soy protein, divided into two separate meals and not from fortified products.
  • Spinach--kale, collards, Swiss chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, romaine lettuce, orange bell peppers. 1 cup steamed or 2 cups raw most days.
  • Tea--1 or cups daily
  • Tomatoes--red watermelon, pink grapefruit, Japanese persimmons, red-fleshed papaya, strawberry guava. One serving of processed tomatoes or sidekicks a day and multiple servings per week of fresh tomatoes.
  • Turkey (skinless breast)--skinless chicken breast. 3 - 4 servings per week of 3-4 oz.
  • Walnuts--almonds pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews. 1 oz. 5 times a week.
  • Yogurt--kefir. 2 cups daily.
I'm dizzy. I have a tummy ache. I can't imagine eating 2 cups of yogurt a day! A dollop on my fresh fruit, yes. And soy? Tofu? Eeeyew. I'm fine with the oats, OK with the OJ, turkey and pumpkin--terrific; but blueberries I might have 3 or 4 times during the summer.

And I'm crushed that apples aren't on the list! I eat an apple every single day. A day without an apple is just not worth waking up for. Tea I'll drink when I don't have coffee.

So today I had a big giant Honey Crisp apple, 6 oz. tomato juice, 1/2 cup of turnip greens/turnips mixed with about 1/4 cup of yellow corn (really makes the greens taste better), a 1/2 cup cantelope, 1/4 cup of sliced carrots mixed with 1/4 cup fresh pineapple topped with fat free cottage cheese. And of course, coffee with cream.

And it's Friday so we're going out to eat and I'll have my favorite sandwich (philly cheese loaded with onions and peppers) and french fries. You can imagine how great that's going to taste after mustard greens for lunch.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I love honey crisp apples. They are my favorite and I o.d. on them this time of year. And for the tofu...I'm ok with soy, but people need to make sure that they are using it in moderation. It is good for you, but too much can have adverse affects. A few months ago I increased my soy intake and I felt aweful and felt like I was having a stroke. It was the soy. I believe it has estrogen properties to it, and it was making my system go haywire. Just a word of caution for anyone out there.