Monday, October 09, 2006

Monday Memories

For some reason, when I was in my 20s I thought a home wasn't complete without a piano. We bought our second home (keeping the first as a rental) in 1965 when I was a graduate student in library science at the University of Illinois, and I was spending my graduate stipend making payments on a piano! I didn't even play--had stopped taking lessons in grade school. After I bought it, my husband and I both took piano lessons from a grad student, but very briefly. I think we must have broken the poor girl's heart, we were so bad.


Our son could play piano by ear and even did a little composing, and our daughter took lessons in elementary school. When I stopped lessons around age 10 or 11, I just rarely played, but after she quit, she would play the piano almost every evening after supper for an hour or so for her own enjoyment. I was careful not to tell her how much I loved it, because you know how teens are! When she would come to visit (with her laundry) after she had her own apartment, she always spent time playing the piano. After she bought a house in 1996, I gave her the piano. And now it is just as lonesome and quiet in her house as it was in ours.

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
I don't use Mr. Linky, so your links will stay put!
My visitors and visited this week are:
Ma, Viamarie, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Debbie, Lazy Daisy, Lady Bug, Janene, Michelle, Anna, ChelleY.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norma what a wonderful story! I never took any music lessons but everyone in my hubbys side did! His youngest sounds alot like your daughter. Get her near a piano and she just plays away with no lessons. Maybe one day your daughter will pick it up again! Wonderful share.

I am posting now from my own blog instaed of the MM blog. So if my name and URL looks strange it is still Reverberate! Just a new home!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... A piano, Mr Lifecruisers dream for the moment. We need one, but it's not so much space in our apartment left and we don't know if we're going to stay here, so we don't want to move a piano here before we know.

I love to listen to him playing the piano, which he does when we're visiting my Mom. He is good at it :-)

Ladybug Crossing said...

I have mom's piano - old, out of tune, and never played - but definitely treasured... I have our digital keyboard - all 88 keys - in tune, dusty, played not so often... but still loved...

The keyboard got played when the children took piano lessons, but now there just isn't time for lessons...

Great memory!!
xo