Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday Memories

Brethren Volunteer Service, pt. 3
Here's a few more photos. Scroll up for pt. 2 and pt. 1 and the explanation of what you're seeing. I reversed them.

The kitchen was really pretty nice, and we had great meals--many of the Cal-Mex type things I'd never had before. Lots of beans, rice and onions, smothered in cheese, seconds on bread and milk. We had one tiny bathroom off the kitchen and 9 people living in the house. We must have had assigned times. I think the women got up first. Someone would turn on Mahalia Jackson gospel and blast everyone out of bed in the a.m.


I doubt that we could all sit down at the same time in the living room, and I'm certainly taking up more than my share here, so perhaps some were out this evening at a ball game with the kids.


It must have been my day to cook because I have on an apron--the same one Genie is wearing in the above photo. I'm showing off my new shoes bought in Fresno. Our pay was $7.50/month (or was it a week?), which actually goes pretty far if your board and room is taken care of (or it did 50 years ago), so I probably saved mine and bought new high heels. And yes, that is a sun tan because we were outside much of the day.


Please check out pt. 1 (above) for the beginning of the story.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful memeories you have Norma
was it opened or closed brethen?
I use to belong to a open brethren church :)

Norma said...

Your Brethren may be a different group. These are Anabaptists--originated in Germany. I'm not familiar with "open" or "closed."

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really impressed over that neat kitchen, must have been great at that time!

And of course you had to show off your new fancy shoes :-)

sometimes I wish that I had collected my old shoes and clothes to have in the future just to look at!

Maybe it's not too late to start now? *lol*

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Great that you've documented that all in your Monday Memories for posterity! I'm sure it was quite a growing and learning experience!!