Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday Memories

Brethren Volunteer Service, pt.2
To make this load faster, I'm dividing the photos into 3 entries. Go up one for the first part.

Generally, the girls did all the shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry for the whole unit; the guys took care of the grounds, maintenance and vehicles. We all had playground duty; taught classes to the children; did surveys in the community about needs. On Friday nights there were movies for the community, and candy was sold at the center. There were sports teams coached by our volunteer staff, and the children were in leagues and transported around the area to play. Also ping pong tournaments. The BVSers worked hard and played even harder. We took some interesting trips to the California parks and mountains, agricultural areas, miniature golf, and to Sacramento in the center's van. For someone from a tiny town in Illinois, there was a lot to see and do. But I was only 17 and had never been away from home except for camp; so I think I would have been more useful had I been older.

Making ice cream; Barbara standing on the pail and Rufus churning. I believe this block building was built by the BVS-ers who came before us by a year or two.

Enjoying the ice cream. This looks like we were in the director's house and one of his small children is in the foreground. I think I see a Bible or two, so maybe we had a lesson before the treat?

We didn't have a TV, but we had a record player and we sang. The fan in the living room window was connected to a hose which helped cool the house with running water.

My Bible class. We had made potato head puppets (I learned this from my mother) and put on a play we wrote. I believe they performed for the community and parents, because usually they wore play clothes when they came to the community center (built by the volunteers).


, , , ,
,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures, but also to read something about that time. It's always interesting, like somewhat experience it a bit yourself.

Your bible class look very happy.

Norma said...

After I wrote this in 2006, I found the Wagners through Google, and called and talked them. Barbara died in 2009 and Rufus in 2010.
http://www.gettysburgtimes.com/obituaries/article_679f7f14-9ac6-11df-a929-001cc4c03286.html

Norma said...

Terry N Thoreen of Pleasant Hill, Ohio, born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, passed away at the age of 86, on January 11, 2023.