Thursday, October 16, 2008

Independent, non-profit, non-partisan, pt. 1

These words have lost their meaning in today‘s political climate. They might have meaning for their tax status, but not their reliability, their slant or values. Ignore these terms when seeking information and do more than a cursory background check before trusting.

Today I was attempting to look up information on a “consumer health care incentives” conference taking place this week. I found that web page from a table of contents that a publisher sent in an e-mail to a librarian list. All the conference topics used what I would call either jargon or mush terms--impossible for the outsider (like me who worked in a medical library for 14 years) to discern. But I could figure out the conference logo--a large carrot dangling in front of buildings labeled hospital, insurance company, government, etc. inside what looked like a stamp. So I examined the list of speakers and just picked one, Thomas P. Miller, who was presenting a paper for AEI, American Enterprise Institute, which I would define as libertarian in its economic views, conservative in its social views, and all over the map politically. Over the years I have found their reports and papers to be trustworthy and well-researched, even if I don‘t always agree with their conclusions.

After browsing Mr. Miller’s resume I found a google link directing me to a wiki, Source Watch. Wikis are all over the internet--they are user-created encyclopedias and they are not peer-reviewed--your 13 year old could contribute and probably has because anyone can edit the information an expert just contributed 30 minutes ago. The most famous wiki is probably Wikipedia, but they are proliferating like pet rabbits loosed after Easter. Sometimes a wiki can help you get someplace, but they are not in the same class with Encyclopedia Britannica which began publishing in 1768 or The World Book that you may remember from your schools days. Their advantage is they often contain really obscure information that isn’t available in a true encyclopedia.

Next entry will continue this theme, but now it's time to go to the coffee shop.

No comments: