Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why can't OSU cite its own or peer reviewed research?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. It's happened twice now in about 6 weeks. If I see something health related in my OSU human resources site I think I should expect something other than shilling for an anti-aging supplement company. I noticed an article under Wellness about Vitamin D and immunity. It's flu season so I clicked on it and it brought up an interesting page (reformated from the original) about vitamin D research. I made the assumption I was reading research from the University's canyons of labs, offices, gov't grants and libraries, but by the time I started rolling through footnotes that began with #25, I realized something was wrong. So I scrolled to the bottom and got a link to Life Extension Magazine, a pop-health webpage that sells anti-aging supplements! And it wasn't even current--it was almost 2 years old!

The first time I was caught was a scare story about plastic baby bottles--that link led to an advocacy page loaded with the words, "might," "could," "it is thought," and nothing concrete out of thousands of studies.

If an OSU researcher has a break through, ah-ha moment, and it's out there at a popular science or consumer health website, by all means, let us know. But don't be making stuff up, folks, and sending off to buy supplements.

1 comment:

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I think a lot of the "we are heading for a recession/depression get your helmet" is like the baby bottle issue

Its a bad situation for hedge funds and slick investors... and those with crummy mortgages, but the little people are working and paying their bills so whatever