Thursday, September 10, 2009

Republicans--hopeless or helpless?

Although I never voted for George H.W. Bush, I thought Republicans were silly to toss him over for the "no new taxes" broken promise. Obama started breaking promises from the get-go, and our brave, proud media have scarcely batted an eyelash, nor his loyal supporters. Was it Jan. 21 that he raised taxes on the poor with that huge cigarette tax increase? Do you know a single rich guy who smokes hurt by that? Everything he's done in the last 7 months has either intentionally, or unintentionally hurt the economy. The rich can just ride it out. Republicans in Congress still look like idiots. If they can't make a difference because of their small numbers, they could at least stand on principle.

Yesterday I read in our local paper about a closing of a small bakery business--53 years old. Not only that, but the owners have also lost their home. I feel badly because I used to go there all the time when we lived on Abington, but I've probably only stopped in once or twice in the last 7 years. Their cakes, cookies and bread were to die for. The line to get things before an OSU football game went outside the door when my kids were little. The number of times I'd call my husband at work about 4:45 and ask him to swing by there and bring a dessert home--ah, I'm salivating.

The savings rate is up; that's good. But when people don't buy those little extras, and in this case the business employed about 20 people, everyone in the local community is hurt, the city gets fewer taxes, the state gets less, and the U.S. gov't, which thought the owners were "rich" will really get less. So then Obama will raise our taxes to make up for what he can't get from the "rich."

"When's the last time a poor person gave you a job" may be a cliche, but it is oh so true, and investment came to a screeching halt last July when the business world could see who would be the next president, a man very hostile to capitalism.

No comments: