Friday, June 17, 2005

1139 Do the math

"Wal-Mart wields its power for just one purpose: to bring the lowest possible prices to its customers." Fast Company article about pickles

Why do the anti-success people give Wal-Mart such a hard time? I'm really sick of it. Always whining about their employment practices, benefits, size and quality of merchandise. This guy from Limited/Victoria Secret quoted at CircuiTree (have no idea what this is--Google found it) has it all wrong:

"Is a $100 Victoria's Secret bra ten times better than a $10 one from WalMart? Sure it has better fabric and better stitching, but how is it that it could be ten times better? It's worth it if it makes the wearer feel special.... Remember, we are trying to get beyond mere money math. Spend $100 on giving your wife ten WalMart bras for Valentine's Day, and what have you given her? Grounds for divorce."

I would love to buy $100 of Wal-Mart bras. I have six of them, costing $2.50 each, and bought them back in the late 1990s. Eventually they will wear out, and I'll have to wear one of those God-awful things 1) lined in foam or 2) girded with metal tubing and stays, or 3) cut from stretch t-shirt fabric with the support of a butterfly's wing. The women of the mid-19th century fought a battle to get out of stays and corsets, and now the women of the 21st century meekly submit to these torture instruments. I'm guessing the designers are misogynists.

I checked at Wal-Mart the other day, and they are still there for $2.50--or it looks like the same design--at that price there is no foam and no metal. However, I tried one on and the design has changed ever so slightly--probably to compete with the $100 name-brand kind (also made off-shore). I wasn't fooled. However, if I ever decide I want everything shifted backwards and resettled under my arm pits, I know where to go for a bargain.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I detest Victoria's Secret much more than Walmart. Victoria's Secret is supposed to make a woman feel wonderful. I think not! Too many men spend more time wishing their women looked like the models in the catalog than buying Victoria's Secret clothes for their "hot" wives.

Biggest problem with Walmart and their clothing is the quality has been inconsistent in my experience.

Paula said...

LOL! I buy all my bras from VS and they cost around $30 each. This one in particular is very comfy and I have it in several colors. I also buy VS clothing and find it to be very well made. Just ordered a pink casual skirt and jacket for vacation. Their shooze, however, are not for me.

A Wal-Mart opened in Huntington Beach amid huge controversy cuz apparently it obliterated a sports field or something. I couldn't care less. Went once, but it was a messy madhouse, so I doubt I'll go again.

Norma said...

Hard wired with foam. In an electrical storm you're probably safe, though.

I don't think I've ever ordered anything because I only buy what's on sale.