Thursday, June 23, 2005

1172 The gap between rich and poor--the series

In yesterday's Wall Street Journal had another in its series about the growing gap between the rich and poor. It really fell flat for me. It is beyond anecdotal, moving quickly to fairy tale. Could the author (whose name I forgot to write down) not find better examples than a 58 year old man who had a GED and a single woman who has three children and had her first baby (unwed) at 18? What really frustrated me is that Ron Larson, 58, the guy with the GED, was making the same as I was in 2000 when I retired, and I had a master's degree, 24 years experience on the job, and had rank of associate professor. The solution, if I caught the drift, is more education. Why?

After you read through the meaty paragraphs with filler of concern and pity, you get to the little morsels, particularly mistakes made in youth that come back to bite later--like an arrest that unhinges a security clearance years later; failure to finish high school; and an out of wedlock baby or two. I can think of no government program or change in evil corporations that will turn that around.

The examples of success included a "lucky" 20 year old, son of Puerto Rican immigrants, who really hustled, took extra training in-house and moved from the kitchen to the operating room as a surgery assistant. The other success story was a young man whose parents had worked hard and helped him with good values and financial support for his education. He was having no problem exceeding his parents' standard of living.

Go figure.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I didn't read the article, but I sure get the drift of your comments. When my husband and I married in 2003, I made a wee bit more money than he. He has a high school diploma and 30 years on the job at the same place. I have an MSLS and worked in many different libraries. It's all about life choices and personal responsibility. I have the same s standard of living as my parents. They taught me most of the right things, but in some cases, I chose not to listen. I also belived in God, but didn't know that He was there to guide me on Earth too!

I have to work outside of my home while my kids are young because of my past mistakes (bad money decisions and previously marrying a low-life.) The only reason I have a house at all is because my husband saved and scrimped and bought it years before we met. (When we met he said, "You have an education and I have equity". Life choices. My husband didn't know that he could go to college even though his mom was a widow, so he went to work and never looked back. He's brilliant and I wish he could have, but he's don'e a lot better than some with big-time degrees! It's more than education and luck, isn't it?

Norma said...

Yes. Choices.

And I've chosen to move my link to you from Ladies to Librarians. But you could fit in a number of categories, including Faithful.

Susan said...

This blogging thing sure makes you think. I feel so inarticulate these days. Maybe when I can blog more, I'll improve.

Thanks for moving me to "librarians" (I think). I'm not sure where I fit in terms of blogging. I know i'm not ready for multiple blogs, though!