Friday, August 12, 2005

1350 Free to a good home

While biking to writing class yesterday, I stopped at a cottage with a card table in the drive-way on which were stacked books and games. The sign said, "Free--please leave the table."

Smart lady! When I was Head of the Veterinary Library at Ohio State we occasionally gave away journals we didn't plan to bind. From my office I took a small oak table from an earlier generation of library furniture (I had an eclectic decor that spanned 50 years) and put it in the hall outside the library's doors. Then I piled it high with wonderful race horse journals that were at least 5 years old, and not in our binding quota. I made a sign, "Free to a good home" which seemed appropriate for our specialty. When I opened the library the next morning I was shocked to see all the journals on the floor and the table was gone!

I was a member of all the college listservs, so I immediately sent out an e-mail message pleading for my table and explaining my error. It was returned the next night with no comment.

No comments: