Monday, August 15, 2005

1357 As summer winds down

The coffee shop is changing its hours--now I have to wait until 7 a.m. So many of the college kids have returned to school that the local business people are filling in with "alumni" who now may be grandmothers themselves. Labor Day week-end is a real hoot--you never know who the wait staff might be.

The programs this past week-end were wonderful. Friday night the symphony offering was "Broadway and the Movies" with Kern, Rodgers, Webber and Williams. Saturday night was Gary Puckett, who I'm guessing must be nearing 60, but still has a fabulous voice. He gave a lovely Christian witness and had a time where he invited veterans to come to the stage to shake their hands.

The weather has turned a bit. Coolish. I purchased regatta t-shirts for both of us, not that I'm much of a sailor, but I watched them being made--3 colors, designs on both the front and back. Really labor intensive when done on the old fashioned silk screen. Mine is long sleeve, and yesterday on my bike ride it felt really good.

I'm working my way through Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. With all we hear about intrigue and chaos in our 21st century government, I must say, it can't touch the 18th century. I'm amazed this country ever made it through the first 5 years. Gleaned along the way: Hamilton was a man of deep, unalterable principles; hair trigger temper; superhuman stamina who enjoyed beating his enemies at their own game; magnified his personal problems; was quick to perceive threats and issue challenges.

"If Washington was the father of the country and Madison the father of the Constitution, then Alexander Hamilton was surely the father of the American government." (p. 481)

No comments: