Thursday, August 25, 2005

1404 New Conservative Librarian

So far, 4/5 of Paul's posts have been right of center (only has 5 I think) which could just push me off the podium to receive Walt's award as the only "right-wing" librarian blogger (there are no left-wing, according to Walt, which Paul's first post certainly proves untrue). He has a very high "conversation" rate with his readers. Stay tuned for more good things from Corrigenda. And I'm hoping he is writing under a pseudonym because he's in shark territory, professionally speaking.

He has an interesting post on second graders reading the latest Harry Potter book, which he thinks is too dark and too teen for a 7 year old. Obviously Mom bought the kid the book, but I don't think Paul approves.

I can't remember exactly what I was reading in second grade--Little House on the prairie series I think. And all the horse and dog stories I could find. Our town library was pretty small and the hours were limited--the librarian didn't want the farmers to get the books dirty. Now there's a switch!

1 comment:

Camille said...

I am of the mind that kids find their own level in books. I can suggest, urge, cajole but ultimatly, it is their choice.
Sometimes a book is checked out not to read but to experience.

I always remember one student who would checkout "Return of the King" because he loved the LOTR movies so much. I knew there was NO WAY he would be able to read all of that book, he had many learning disabilities. He did read parts of it though and while he carried that book around he felt like a king and I thought that was grand.

Sometimes there is more to checking out a library book than just reading it. Hmmm. I better post this at his site too.