Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday Memories


Did I ever tell you about
The day I had 80 people for brunch on a Spring day?


This is my list of instructions I taped to the inside of a cabinet door, so I could check our progress as we went along. My daughter, son-in-law, and their sister-in-law were helping me. I found this list going through my files today and thought it made a nice "memory" blog. The menu was breakfast egg casserole, tender crisp fresh asparagus, rolls and muffins, mixed fresh fruit, and beverage. I used china and silver, but did use paper napkins.

Food
2 baked breakfast casseroles (which my daughter prepared at her house) here by 10 a.m. One bacon, one no meat.

Start 4 casseroles in the oven at 350 at 10 a.m. Two sausage, one bacon, one no meat.

Start 2 casseroles at 11 a.m. Baking time is about one hour, and can sit awhile to firm up.
This means the oven is on for 2 hours. If it gets too hot, open the kitchen window.

One fruit mixture has strawberries. Use it first; large glass bowl. Other has apples.

Keep water at near boiling temperature and cook asparagus as needed in large saucepan. Keep 2 vegetable bowls rotating for asparagus.

There are 8 doz dinner rolls, 47 muffins, 16 sweet rolls, 10 pumpkin-cranberry, 19 coffee cake. Use the large glass plate and put only two types on a plate--have another plate prepared in kitchen, ready to go; do not put out a selection of all. Margarine and butter. Home-made jam.

Beverage
Coffee urn serves 30; ask Peggy to make. Decaf in maroon caraffe; make in 12 cup drip. I think the coffee will go fast, so we might want to make a 12 cup to keep ready while the 30 cup is re-brewing. Sweet 'n low, sugar, creamer, half n half, skim milk. Glass cups--15-20; we'll need to use styrofoam for backup (cups that match china are too difficult to use away from a table). Tea bags and cappuccino in kitchen with hot water next to dining room door. Orange juice on buffet in glass pitcher. Plastic cups for oj.

Flatware and china
20 plates and flatware on table; when this is used, put out green pattern plates from kitchen counter. Meanwhile (son-in-law) collect used plates, scrape and wash and replace on table with clean flatware. Napkins inside cabinet.

Kitchen
Keep south counter for stacking clean dishes. Wash left to right with space immediately left of sink for dirty dishes. Leave north counter clear for fruit and bread preparation. Use dishwasher top next to stove for casseroles and asparagus preparation. Keep trash container under sink.

Dirty pans go to laundry room--wash later.

All food prep and serving in kitchen; carry to dining room

Seating
By 11:30 it should be warm enough to be sitting on the patio. 2 tables, 12 chairs. 3 director's chairs with snack table on driveway side for smokers. 4 chairs in den. 9-10 in office. 11 in living room. If looking for a place to sit, can also use my office, or the guest room upstairs.

Hang coats in front closet.

Addendum, Feb. 2006: It was a fabulous day; everything went as planned; everyone had a great time and plenty to eat. And the hostess had a good time. If it had rained. . .there would be a different blog here.

Links to other Monday Memories
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)
1. Joan, 2. Running2K, 3. Kimmy and Jacob, 4. Ladybug

Click here for the Monday Memories code

Click here for Running2Ks blog


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

4 comments:

Joan said...

Fascinating reading -- I am so glad to know there are others out there who make detailed lists like I do! I truly did not know there were.

Running2Ks said...

That is incredible! Your organizational skills are divine!

Kimmy said...

Amazing! I can't imagine having 80 people over for brunch...I can see why the list was needed. You're so organized!
All of that and no yummy recipes? My tummy's sad!
Thanks for stopping by...and for the tip on how to change the date and time. I'm addicted to it now! :p

Ladybug Crossing said...

Wow! You should have your own catering business!! You are so organized - I'm jealous! I love the line about opening the window - I'd have to put that one in there just to remember to open it.

Thanks for dropping by my mm.
LadyBug