Friday, May 18, 2007

3843

Dry Clean Only!

This is a terrible dilemma. The tag says dry clean, but you haven't worn it in ages, and you hate to even donate it if it isn't clean. What to do? What to do! Wash it on gentle, slow cycle, in Woolite and see what happens.

I have a white linen, two piece outfit that definitely says, Dry clean only. Linen is just awful for wrinkling. So, pay $10 for drycleaning and have it look like I'd kept it for 5 years in my computer bag the minute I fasten my seat belt? I wore it a few times in 2002, but we're at the lake most of the summer, and for the last two summers I was too fat to get it zipped. Now it fits, but is 5 years old. So I washed it. Seems to be OK, but if not, at least it will be clean when I donate it.

After I stopped working, there was little need for blazers, and I've gradually eliminated them, keeping a navy blazer, and a beige one, which is linen and rayon. Its label too said "dry clean only," but so what. I live on the edge. I'm a retired librarian with 10 blogs! It seems to look fine, my arms have grown a bit in the last 7 years, but I wore it today because it was a bit cool.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I always try the washing thing before I donate. We pay enough for dry cleaning my hubby's business clothes. I can't stand paying those dry cleaning people any more than I have to.