Thursday, May 17, 2007

Another reason to give up smoking

This is a new one on me. Back pain. I've had back problems and pain off and one since my horse fell on me when I was 12 years old. Holding two babies, one on each hip aggrevated it when I was in my late 20s. But I've never been a smoker. Just the mother of one. Now there are new guidelines for aching backs from the NCQA, the National Committee for Quality Assurance (I assume that's medical insurance). $90 billion a year is being spent on x-rays, CT scans, injections and surgeries! Wow.

One of the top suggestions of the guidelines is to quit smoking. Smokers with back pain have more severe back pain that lasts longer and they have poorer outcomes after surgery.

Fear of litigation on the part of doctors is the primary reason you might getting the help you don't need.

Let's see: Cancer; heart disease; lung cancer; wrinkles; body odor; bad breath; slow healing; COPD; and now back pain. Geesh. Smoke gets in your eyes--and everything else, apparently.

Seen in the WSJ.

No comments: