Wednesday, May 09, 2007

3806

Reasons to homeschool

Parents who choose to homeschool put in a lot of work and hours, but I think they get back more than they give. Sherry has a wonderful post about winding down the school year here. She writes one of the best book blogs on the internet. You'll never be sorry you visited.

But the essay on homeschooling by a Catholic mother at First Things really blew me away, Schooling at home by Sally Thomas. Something about her "day in the life" reminded me of my mother and myself--the way we taught while we parented, although neither of us homeschooled. Every moment was a teachable moment. Now when I yearn to hear Mom's voice (she died in 2000), I remember the days as a child wishing she'd just stop explaining, elaborating, using family stories and history, showing me the innards or roots of some animal or plant, how to hold a paint brush, where to put the horse's hock on my drawing, etc. etc. Homeschooling is good for kids, but it's really wonderful for the parent.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Thanks, Norma, for the compliment and for the link.

Dancing Boys Mom said...

Definitely great for the parent. I've learned more in the few years homeschooling than I did in all my years in public school.

And, wow, I think I've finally fixed my blogger problem. I'm sure everyone has so missed my comments on their blogs. ;-)