Thursday, June 11, 2009

Collect, circulate and preserve

That's what librarians used to do. I watched a video on the new OSU Thompson Library today--"1,000 more seats, 1.5 million books." I even recognized the architects. But there used to be over 4 million volumes, I think. This video called the Nonstop Alternative Library is made up of volumes rescued from the Antioch College Library here in Ohio by a small group of students and alumni in the Summer and Fall of 2008. The Nonstop Liberal Arts Institute has taken on the task of preserving organizing and cataloging the collections. See

Nonstop Alternative Libraries from News @Nonstop on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I mean like, you know, I guess like it's weird, like you know, now the alternative is now "our" library, it's sort of like it's weird, like it's what Antioch is."

Not very coherent, but I think she's right. The library is what a college is all about.