Friday, June 19, 2009

Beautiful chickens

Artistically speaking, poultry are beautiful animals--vibrant colors, distinct breeds, and dumb as a rock for the most part. A number of times I have passed up some great chicken art--I'm mean, unless you have a themed kitchen, what do you do with them? I remember one time I saw a huge collection of magazine or calendar art from Watt Publishing's Poultry Tribune, inside a post binder at a used book store, and unfortunately, passed it up. Another time I saw a very reasonably priced watercolor in a local gallery, but again, passed. Today I was at a tag sale at Advent Lutheran Church. Art is always overpriced at these events, but there it was. . . an original 8 x 10 oil for $1.00. The price seemed right, although I'm sure the artist is a hobbyist. It's on good quality linen canvas, not stretched and poorly framed. It's sort of folk art, with a great deal of attention to the feathers. I just love it. The artist, P. Julian, either had a good grasp of the beauty of chickens or copied a 19th century print. Isn't it beautiful?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a Percy Julian mentioned in today's paper--an African American chemist who laid the ground work for the production of cortisone. Maybe he liked to paint?

Norma said...

I looked at his bio--doesn't say he painted, but he certain was a renaissance man, and seemed to be multi-talented. Wouldn't THAT be exciting!

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

De Colores, Norma... now you have chickens to go with the song....