Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who decided we have a health care crisis?

Follow the money. I'd place my bet on the pharmaceutical companies, with the Democratic party not far behind. No one in the United States is denied ACCESS to medical care, even if they don't have insurance. About 13-15% of the population (included in the census are all the people who aren't supposed to be here, and that's millions) don't have private, employer or government health insurance. There are two substantial groups within that figure--young adults who are eligible for insurance through their employer but choose to spend the money (payroll deduction and co-pay) on something else and people who are eligible for government programs that cover health, but just don't bother to do it, or are not mentally capable of figuring out a rather complex, bureaucratic system bound in red tape. Both my children when they were young adults and first living on their own were employed, but did not opt for health insurance; both were in auto accidents which were not their fault, and fortunately the other driver had the basic coverage (required in Ohio). But in the ER, no one told them they wouldn't be treated when they couldn't produce a card. For several years we bought temporary health insurance for them because we believed we would be financially wiped out if they had a life threatening accident or illness.

If we have a crisis, which we don't, it is one brought on by behavior--smoking, drinking, drugs, over-eating, not exercising and not honoring the marriage bed. If Americans cleaned up those problems on their own volition, not only would poverty drop to unprecedented lows (very few children who have married parents are poor), but we could drastically reduce all kinds of diseases, especially diabetes, cancer and heart disease. The AIDS/HIV "epidemic" was brought on by the promiscuous behavior of our wealthiest and best educated demographic--so we know more information and more nanny state lectures aren't going to help until people take personal responsibility.

But it's much easier for the Obama Administration (Republicans do it only slightly less aggressively) to take over yet another segment of the economy by playing the crisis card.

Let me tell you about a crisis we will have--rationed care. Yesterday my husband had his regular dental check up--goes twice a year. His dentist noticed something in his throat and suggested he see his internist. No rush--next check up (in the fall) would be fine he said. Then he called today and said, No, maybe you should get that checked sooner. After checking his calendar my husband had free time the week of July 20th--about a month from now. So he called his doctor and made an appointment for the time he was free. Done deal. Not a year from now. Not two years, when whatever it is has a chance to grow into something serious or disappear on its own.

Now THAT is the coming health care crisis. Time is money. And it is also good health.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did! After my first cancer at 62 took my entire nest egg...Zip.. gone. and I had health insurance.But I was cancer free and was able to work until nearly 70 but that was not enough to re-establish a comfortable retirement. I am still working at a low payment part-time job. But life is good and I don't complain but kneew something had to be done so others would not face the same.I don't begin to think this reform is the total answer but to say we do not have a problem.

Anonymous said...

No one, not even the sponsors of Obamacare, claim it will be better or more comprehensive than private care, which you had. Just more "fair" meaning everyone will have low level care. My guess is you'd only be allowed one cancer and then it will be "so long," someone else's turn now.

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I am sorry but this is one issue that I think needs to be addressed. I am 47 and cannot get or afford what I could get with regards to health insurance. I am unemployed and could not afford COBRA (600.00 a month) I do. The medical insurance establishment is a total rip off and we need to change it. You brought up Kaiser in one of your posts. I have been a part of that when I lived in CA and loved it. Yes its managed care but I got care and that is more than I can say for what I will get if something happens to me right now. Contrary to popular thought a hospital DOES NOT HAVE TO TREAT you... if you dont have insurance medicaid or something you will wait until you die or give up and go home. Yes its going to mean more of a wait because everyone will be getting care not just those that have great employers or government jobs...or medicaid. More andmore employers are cutting insurance off the budgets so if none of us have it then what only the rich get to get treatment... Something is wrong with that...

Care can be managed and not be low level. Most Europeans I know like their health care well enough...