Saturday, December 04, 2010

Ethnicity trumps everything

Ethnicity trumps nationality, religion, culture, politics, language, gender, wealth, politics, education, you name it. Scratch the surface of any national problem and you'll turn up ethnicity, whether it's Northern Ireland or Bosnia or Iraq/Iran. I won't start another blog on this topic, but I could. I'll just comment from time to time. I've maxed out my 5,000 subject headings Blogger allows, so I can't create something to keep them all together. But here's my first.

The Koran says nothing about female circumcision--the mutilation of female clitoris so there is no sexual sensation. The custom predates Islam. However, in Africa it is followed "religiously" by black African Muslims. Jeffrey Tayler observes in "An Angry Wind" that even very liberal, educated, upper caste African Muslims supported the circumcision of all women for fear they would “go wild.” I suppose they mean they might become westernized and demand some rights like driving a car, employment, or wearing revealing clothes. You might call that their culture, but I choose to say ethnicity trumps culture, because educated, health conscious, liberal African Muslims (it has contributed to the spread of AIDS and various other health problems) are a subculture too.

HT 7th decade thoughts

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe things have changed since I studied sex ed in school but weren't we taught that the seat of sexual pleasure was in the brain. Is that why muslims cut off heads?

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
Hey Anon, a lot depends on where their brains are located!