Saturday, December 31, 2022

Returning to The Blessing music of 2020

This morning I was listening again to the various versions of The Blessing, when hundreds of Christian groups came together during the 2020 lockdown ignoring denominational boundaries and squabbles and sang the Blessing from Numbers 6:24-26. Then I came across the one from Uzbekistan sung in Russian and Uzbek--I didn't even know there was a Christian presence in Uzbekistan. It was lovely, as was one of the comments.

"I am crying. As a young boy I grew up in Uzbekistan as an MK. [missionary kid] The early 2000's I recall them like if they were yesterday. I remember my Parents friends being afraid, being beaten by the police, I remember the police coming to our house everyday and taking away our car. I remember a car at night in our house, I remember helping carrying bibles translated to Uzbek and hiding them in our basement. I remember the Uzbek underground church and worshiping in silence from our houses. My family and I were kicked out of the country around 2006 and were not allowed re-entry. Many times I wondered what happened with our brothers in Christ in Uzb... until a few days ago I saw a news article about the growing Uzbek church and now I see this video and see how all those tears, all those times we felt impotent,... My parents work did not go in vain. To see the seed they planted and to see the beautiful garden it has become brings tears of joy to my heart. I long to go back to Uzb one day, to kiss the soil, drink choi eat Osh, and Thank God for his many blessings."

Yes, there were good things happening in the church during the lockdown. If you need a few blessings for the New Year, settle in and listen to 10-20 of these from all over the world, and crank up the sound. Thank you, cousin Gayle, for sending the Blessing in your note today.

No comments: