Tuesday, October 14, 2008

At least she's honest

When looking through LibGuides that I mentioned a few posts back, I came across a library guide (don't remember the institution) for information on global warming. All of it led to sources that I would call pro-anthropogenic (human caused) climate change. One of the nice features of LibGuides is you can e-mail or text message the librarian who created the resource for additional information. Their photos are even posted--and I tell you, librarians today are much more attractive than my graduating class. Anyway, she responded: "This guide was created to support a teach-in that was not intended to present the other viewpoint." I'm not sure how a librarian assigned to a "teach-in" differs in responsibility from preparing materials for a regular class, but I suspect either way, you get the view of the librarian, not a range of viewpoints and studies.

Librarians always bring their personal values and viewpoints to their work--maybe moreso than some other professions. Librarians have a value system that is a blend of missionary and social worker. They are do-gooders in sensible shoes. When I was at the Ohio State Veterinary library, I purchased a nice collection of pet health books--the kind you can buy in pet stores for owners, not for researchers or veterinarians, the people I was hired to serve. It was my personal view, and it was not in my collection statement which gave the official version, that better educated pet owners would benefit both the animal world and the veterinarian. Also, I had lots and lots of unassigned gift money. In those days, my library was both the first stop or last resort for both children and adults because the public libraries had so little. Nor could a public library afford to buy books on relatively obscure breeds or pets (I also had an excellent collection for owners of snakes, flying squirrels, hamsters, rabbits, llamas etc.) I think I saved a lot of animals' lives by advising students to use a plant species instead of animal for their science project. If a beloved pet died, I often got the call. Well, was I going to describe Cushing's Disease in Fido from a textbook or a breed specific book? (And yes, of course, I would tell them to talk to their vet, but these people were in deep shock and grief.) And then you find out he was 18 years old and had practically been on life support for two years, and the owner was still grieving. So you put all those research skills aside and just listen letting the other work pile up. In my own mind, I justified stepping away from my primary duties as good PR for the college and library opting for the long range benefits rather than short term gain.

But I don't know why other librarians do what they do, except I know absolutely that politics goes with them to the work place. When you look at a library guide whether on-line or in print, look for what's missing.

No comments: