Friday, December 01, 2006

Friday Family Photo


Look at these little sweethearts, all dressed up in their caps and gowns to move up to the primary Sunday School class. I'm not sure of the year--maybe 1944 or 1945. We are standing there on the steps of the Mt. Morris Church of the Brethren, squinting into the sun. I'm the one with brown shoes and no curls, sigh. It really stunted my fashion sense. It was probably the only pair of shoes I had, and Deb and Barb and Diane also in the front row, being the only girls in their families, probably had two pair of shoes. All except Dick finished grade school and high school together. His father died and his mother remarried and moved away. My family moved away too in 1946, but came back when I was in 6th grade, and this is where I was baptized when I was 12 years old.

By the mid-1950s the church was bursting; the baby boom and a talented young preacher brought in many new members, especially young families. Our Sunday School class probably tripled. So a decision was made to build a new facility with a large sanctuary and 3 floors of classroom, a chapel, special youth room for the CBYF with a fireplace, a big commercial grade kitchen, fellowship hall, a library, offices for the staff, lots of parking and so forth. My parents were in their early 40s and were involved in every stage of building the new church, from raising money to sewing drapes and picking out paint colors. The building where this photo was taken was sold to a small group just getting started in Mt. Morris, the Evan Free.

Their roles are reversed now. The Evan Free is filling the old church, and the big Church of the Brethren has many empty pews and classrooms and an aging congregation. The young people who built it are now the elderly with special needs. I'm not a member there, so I have nothing to say, but I have heard many good things about their new pastor who just started a few months ago and that is hopeful.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for visitin my blog this afternoon. Take care and have a wonderful early weekend start :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture! It's always interesting to take a stroll down someone else's memory lane:)