Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday Memories

Have I ever told you why my mother was a Democrat (according to my father)?

My parents were married over 65 years. My mother died in 2000 and my father in 2002. When cleaning out Dad's desk, I found a small notebook which he used to jot down phone calls, addresses, appointments and lists (he had worked in sales into his 80s). Leafing through it, I found a "memory" written on the date of their 66th wedding anniversary, 7 months after Mother's death. So I brought it home, and came across it while cleaning my desk last week. I hardly ever had letters from Dad, so I enjoy looking at his handwriting.

He wrote about how they had met the summer after high school and he changed schools to attend Mt. Morris College so they dated during the academic year 1930-31; how he had returned in the fall of 1931, but she had gone to work as a domestic for a Jewish family in Chicago (it was the Depression and she had no money to continue, but he had a football scholarship). He wrote, "I had to stay with dad and mother during the summer of 1932, but in the fall I got a job at Kable News Co. I remember getting her (my mother) a job as a housekeeper for one of the execs, which later turned into a job also at Kable News. It had to be during the winter because Roosevelt had been elected Pres. and one of his edicts got her a raise from $8.00 weekly to $10.00. Thus, she remained a Democrat the rest of her life."


My visitors and those I'll visit this week are:
Ma, Viamarie, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Debbie, Gracey, Lazy Daisy, Lady Bug, Janene, Janene in Ohio, Michelle, Anna, ChelleY. Jen, Melli Becki, Paul, Friday's Child, Irish Church Lady,Cozy Reader

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely....

To find things like this from your parents after they have died. It must be really special.

Lovely blog.

Sally

Anonymous said...

What a great memory and story. I love Monday Memories. Your posts are always so interesting and sweet. Thanks for sharing:)

Viamarie said...

~sniffle~

This kind of stuff makes me cry. It really touches me when I come across things that belonged to my father who died in 2002 at age 92. I think you felt the same way too while going through them.

Wystful1 said...

wonderful. I got your link from Viamarie's comment section.

It's been a long time since I've visited with you. I kinda have a memory for today also.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

That is a cute story and memory. Happy Monday!

Thank you for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

That sounded so wonderful. Like a letter from the other side. This memory of yours actually is a little bit cute.

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Anonymous said...

It's almost like you're sharing your father's Monday Memory, too!

What a great thing to share. I found a few old things of my great-grandmother's when I was going through some stuff for my mom and dad. There was an envelope full of old deeds and promisary notes, etc. that I'm sure she just held on to because she didn't think she should throw them out. I really wished she were here to explain the stories behind them all, though. I know it would be interesting!

Thanks for stopping by!

Susan said...

That is so neat that your dad wrote about your mom in this way.

My dad is a writer, but he mostly writes about cars and trucks. I wonder if he's ever thought about writing about my mom.

I posted my second MM. I want to do TT also, but I better see how Mondays go first!

Unknown said...

That's as good a reason as any other. It's nice your Dad wrote that memory down, even nicer that you saved it.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure for you to find...it must be very special!