Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday Memories

Backed up by my family

Today I'm going to identify what's in this photograph--a lot of family history. Certainly, I'm in it, dressed for my painting workshop in my black cat apron that my sister gave me for Christmas about 8 years ago.


On the bottom two shelves is my premiere issue collection of magazines. About two years ago I put them into subject groups--women's, men's, sports, technology, science, etc., but they are all messed up again. My blog about this hobby, In the Beginning, is only occasionally updated. It feels too much like work, I suspect. The red and green box on the right of the bottom shelf contains a rug hooker [Griffin Rug Machine] with the printed instructions which was my great-grandmother's. I think it would have been high tech for its day since most people probably crocheted scrap rugs in the 1880s. The green is actually tape to keep the red box together. On the left below the corner of the red bag I'm holding is a narrow wooden box of children's blocks, with a woodburn design crafted by my Uncle Leslie when he was a little boy.

On the second shelf are two etched glass jelly jars with glass lids that belonged to my grandmother, and the jug behind them stored some kind of liquid on her parents' farm. It probably came from Adams County, Pennsylvania which is where they grew up. In front of the jug being used as a book end, is an old black iron--probably weighs about 10 lbs and is made of iron, with a removable wooden handle. It was heated on the cook stove and used to press clothes. It was also high tech for its era, because it caused much less damage to the hand of the presser than the "old fashioned" irons made completely of metal.

On the third shelf is a small music box my mother gave me perhaps in the late 1980s. Behind me (you can't see it) is a iron shoe form for a child's shoe--apparently my great grandfather used it either to make shoes for his children or repair them. There is also his rolled up tape measure--he was a carpenter in Rockford when he first came to Illinois in the 1850s and used his wages to buy acreage near Ashton. And there is a metal dough punch with four blades he made for his wife.

On the fourth shelf over my left shoulder is a photo of my parents taken in 1991 about a decade before they died. I think this was for the church directory--there must be millions of photographs like this spread around the homes of America. Over my right shoulder is a thread spool holder with a pin cushion on top, also made by my great grandfather for his wife. It's pretty handy, and I assume some of the thread is over 100 years old. Next to it is a brass trivet I found in 1968 buried in the dirt at our house where our children grew up. I cleaned it up and have used it for a variety of tasks--now it just holds a book. I think it is brass.

And of course, behind me are lots of old books from four generations. They look like they have fancy bindings, but books of my grandparents' era had a lot of chemicals in the paper, and disintegrate easily. Like me, they bought for value, not for quality. I think it is funny that I saved a book from my childhood called "Bruce" about a collie, never imagining someday it would be my name.

The shiney white, blue and green box on the far left of the 5th shelf contained a card catalog of my grandparents' library, assembled by several members of the family when they were closing up their home after their deaths in the 1960s. This list of books, found by me in the late 1980s, launched several publishing projects, including a spin off into agricultural magazines used by farm families in the early 20th century and women who wrote for Ohio farm magazines in the 19th century.

You can barely see the top shelf, but that holds children's books, some old, some from my childhood--mostly horse stores--and some I purchased because I liked the illustrations (from the days when I wanted to write a children's book).


My visitors and those I'll visit this week are:
Anna, Becki, Chelle, Chelle Y., Cozy Reader, Debbie, Friday's Child, Gracey, Irish Church Lady, Janene, Janene in Ohio, Jen, Katia, Lady Bug, Lazy Daisy, Ma, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Melli, Michelle, Paul, Susan, Viamarie,

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some amazing memories and treasures! You look so good and happy there!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful shelf full of wonderful memories. Most of those things you mentioned are priceless. You have some wonderful family history there too. And you look lovely in your art apron:)

Anonymous said...

Love the cat apron and all the books - and your telling about everything. Especially the Bruce-connection. You have always interesting things to tell us :-)

Anonymous said...

I definitely like your cat apron....anything with kitties I love! :)

Melli said...

Now that was a very intersting idea for a Monday Memory. I'm sure when this picture was taken, it was not with the telling of the history in mind! Mine will be up very shortly!

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Lovely memories for the items you have saved.

I am very sentimental about saving things from deceased relatives but I am also trying to be practical about what I keep but I find it hard. It's sort of a quandary, you want to keep everything but then you tell yourself that they are just things and we're told to declutter and scale down what we hang on to on shows like Clean Sweep etc.

It looks like you have yours nicely organized and tidy though.

I think the book about Bruce the collie is one of those situations when God winks ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is so great! You are lucky to have all those items from your grandparents. I was not so lucky cause the only grandparent I saw was my Mom's Mom and she was already an invalid due to a stroke. The rest passed on before I was born, so all I know of them are stories that was told to me by my parents.

Mine is up, finally. I thought Monday Memories was disbanded by the hostess?

Anonymous said...

Norma, I love this blog and your cat apron. I am going to start looking for one for my grand daughter. She paints and this would be perfect for her.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing. Quite a collection you have there and treasured memories as well. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! I love books ~ especially children's books ~ but was never really into horses.

You are so much more organized than I am...just the fact that you know what's on those shelves! I have no system for shelving my books...I may look into it soon, though. I feel like I'm getting the nesting bug. :)

Thanks for stopping by earlier. :) I hope you have a wonderful week!

Susan said...

Neat stuff. I love to read what others have to say about their "artifcacts". It's interesting and it affirms that I'm not so odd after all.

I put some memories up today but my writing is rather sloppy.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

a very nice Monday Memory today!! I just did not feel like posting a Monday Memory today...WHY? I have no idea in the foggiest!! Hmm!! smile!! Yours is good though and a great idea. I could do that. I have done it with my mothers old iron that she had as a child..same idea I guess. Hope your Monday went well. sandy

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, Norma, what interesting items you have. I love items that make me remember the person who once owned them. You have quite a collection of history there.

Anonymous said...

I remember you saying sometime ago that youd had your hair done - it suits you
I like the cat apron too
interesting post I like antique things

Unknown said...

Boy, Norma, I need to do what you did with my magazines...I have literally boxes of them going back probably into the early 80's. I always hate to part with one for fear I might need it again later! LOL.

Nice photo of you. Thanks for your kind comments and for stopping by my blog yesterday.

Best,
Carol

Three Score and Ten or more said...

When I go Christmas Shopping, I want to shop in your shelves. Sigh, It is nice to know an organized pack-rat, I'm one of the unorganized type.

Viamarie said...

I love books. This truly is a collection. Like your shelf too.

Happy Wednesday!

Suzanne said...

I have a photograph of my parents just like that as well. It's an American tradition isn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma,

Thanks for blogging by Hill Country Thoughts.

Love your bookshelf and the memories you shared. If I ever get my own place again, I will have to have one room to be my library, especially with the number of books I have collected over the last 30 plus years.

Be blessed and have a super week,

Paul