Thursday, April 19, 2007

3721

Nominate a library web site

I've been ranting at a library blog about how difficult most library websites are to navigate. Since the Mt. Morris Public Library was the first I ever used (when it was still in Old Sandstone) and I worked there in high school (before the present building expanded), I looked at it in my quest for easy-to-use and understand library websites. Although I don't care for the pea green background color of the site, I must say, it is easy to navigate and clear, and has a helpful form for requesting information. Good job, Mt. Morris.

As I recall, this collection which began as a philanthropic effort by the women's club became a public library around 1931. My mother was a teen-age college student in Mt. Morris and was issued card number 14 or something like that and used it until she died in 2000 at 88.

------------------

Usually I express nothing but frustration with the Ohio State University Libraries web sites, however, I've just looked at the Cartoon Research Library (part of OSUL) and after staring at it for 2 or 3 seconds, figured out how to use it. I loved the special database, especially searching by genre. How cool is that--especially if you are unfamiliar with the names of the artists or even what to call their art.

Just ignore the little band of boxes across the top which send you off into the larger library system (don't go there unarmed without vast knowledge of how to work the system).
-----------------

Bismarck, North Dakota: address (name and state) at bottom; four columns, too many colors, difficult to read and find information; couldn't find a link to staff names or comment/contact window--possibly buried on a hard to find page.
----------------

New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, IN: Very amateurish, too many colors. Main photo appears to be of an office through the glass doors, but it's hard to tell. Purples, green-blues. Blobs of information. Can't find a list of staff or way to comment or request.
-------------------------

Alameda Free Library, California: seems to have a new library. All the money must have gone for the building, leaving none for the website, which is amateurish, with poor color choices (what is it with libraries and sense of color--I've never seen so much purple and pea green!) Can't find any list of staff or way to contact them. Might be there, but not easy to locate.

-----------------------------
Toledo Lucas County, Ohio: although the site is attractive and eager to please, the main features are the lyceum--all programming, not the collection. That's not why I come to a library, and for a web site, it is really disappointing. I wasn't allowed to even look at the database titles without a pin number, so can't tell you much about that. The staff, at least, is not in alphabetical order, although based on their titles, there are no librarians there, only "managers." I did finally find a "suggestion for purchase" form, which my library doesn't have. This library has a very long list of rules, procedures and guidelines, maybe being urban they have to, but the overall impression is sort of oppresive.
---------------------
Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library: The main page is a bit hokey--can't decide between flashing cartoons and dignified photos. I'd not miss it a bit if all library sites dumped the free, flashing cartoony stuff. No address or state name on the main page; no list of staff, only departments. You'd have to hunt a bit to find a way to send an e-mail or request. Very nice history page--more libraries should have one. The long list of rules to get a library card really makes my PL look like the tooth fairy--I suppose they have more of an illegal immigrant problem than we do. There you have to show your ID and proof of address--mine lets you register online, but does want your SS#, which I'm against. But everyone seems to do it, even with the high turn over of staff who have access to it.

No comments: